Although Mother Nature has a hand in the timing, there are some things you can do — or not do — to help increase your chances of getting pregnant ASAP. Read on for seven expert-approved tips for getting pregnant.
1. Eat A Healthy Diet
You can start by taking prenatal pills and eating a well-balanced diet. Watch what you eat and don’t eat heavy starchy food or a ton of processed or junk food just be aware of what is going into your body.
Food high in folate is great, things like strawberries, spinach, beans, and oranges. Don’t forget to drink plenty of water as well, they say 8 cups of water so be sure to carry around a water bottle to get hydrated.
2. Know When You Ovulate
Start tracking your periods and if you don’t have them already, get the ovulation test strips so you know exactly when you ovulate and for how long . Knowing your fertile days will help make getting pregnant a lot easier.
Your fertility is highest during the five days leading up to the days you are ovulating you can figure out when you are ovulating naturally if you don’t want to spend money right now on strips. This is what you look for:
- Changes in cervical mucus- if it is sticky and stretchy or wet and slippery then you most likely are.
- A heightened sense of smell
- Breast soreness or tenderness
- Mild pelvic or lower abdominal pain usually on one side or the other lasting an hour or less
- Libido changes-sex drive increases
- Changes in the cervix- it becomes more open, higher up and softer
Those hardy sperm can stick around in your uterus and fallopian tubes for two to three days, but your egg only lasts for 12 to 24 hours after it’s released. So having sex before you ovulate boosts the chances that there’ll be sperm around to greet your egg as soon as it debuts.
For a typical 28-day cycle (where you ovulate on day 14), here’s what you’ll do:
* Start having sex a few times a week as soon as your period ends. Getting busy that often ensures you won’t miss your most fertile time, especially if your cycle length varies from month to month.
* Make a point to have sex every other day starting around day 10.
* When you have a positive result on your OPK (around day 12), have sex that day and the next two days—these are your primo days out of the month to conceive.
3. Sex Positions
Any intercourse position that gets sperm near the cervix (or vagina, for that matter) can get you pregnant. Sperm will swim up the female reproductive tract with or without the help of gravity.
Positions to get pregnant may include:
- Man on top, woman on bottom position (aka “Missionary Position”)
- Woman on top, man on bottom position
- Side-by-side position
- “Doggy style,” or rear-entry position
- Edge of the bed position
- Right angle sex position
That said, if the woman is lying on her back when the man ejaculates, that may possibly improve her chances.
4. Best thing to do after having sex
The one thing that matters the most after having sex is to lay flat or put a pillow under your hips for 10 to 15 minutes so that the sperm has a better chance of traveling to the egg.
5. What Not To Do When Trying To Conceive
Don’t use lubricants because most of them if not all have spermicide and also will change the Ph to make it less than ideal for sperm to survive.